Marrakech to Erg Chegaga (Chigaga) Dunes - Sand Boarding
2 Nights 3 Days
Day 1: Marrakech - Tizi n' Tichka Pass - Telouet - El Glaoui Kasbah - Ait Benhaddou Kasbah - Ouarzazate - Zagora:
We start our Chigaga 3 days desert trip with vehicle at 8.00am from Marrakech. We cross the High Atlas Mountains -Tizi-n-Tichka Pass driving along the former route of the caravans in Morocco, picturesque area to reach the Kasbah Telouet. Then we cross over to the wonderful Ounila Valley that offers scenic drive and full of geological history, with nomad staying in the old caves. Arrive at Ait Benhaddou, Morocco’s most famous Kasbah and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Thereafter, we have lunch in the village.
The trip goes through Draa Valley with its palm trees and more old Kasbahs, partly off the road. We will enjoy the nice view of the huge Oasis before arrived to our Riad in Zagora.
Overnight in Draa Valley I Lunch
Day 2: Zagora - Tamegroute - M' hamid - Erg Chegaga / Chigaga Dunes:
After breakfast, we will have a stop at Tamegroute to visit the famous Koran library and an underground Kasbah, and then we will drive to the dunes of Chigaga through the palm groves that lined Draa Valley. After a short break in the panoramic view of Draa Palmeraie, we will continue to M’Hamid, which is a small village – the last town and the major Draa oasis before the Erg Chigaga Sahara dunes. These large groups of Sahara dunes of the region can reach a height of 300 meters on a length of 40 kilometers. Try the new experience of sand boarding before anticipating the sunset.
Sand boarding is a board sport similar to snowboarding. It is a recreational activity and takes place on sand dunes rather than snow-covered mountains.
This board sport has adherents through out the world and most prevalently in desert areas.
To reach the campsite, we will camel trek for about 90 minutes. Once we reach the campsite, enjoy Berber dinner with music, campfire in the heart of the Sahara desert. Stargazing and experience a memorable night in a Berber tent.
Overnight in Erg Chegaga Campsite I Breakfast I Dinner
Day 3: Erg Chegaga / Chigaga Dunes - Iriqui Lake - Foum Zguid - Ouarzazate - Marrakech:
After watching the sun rise and breakfast in Erg Chigaga bivouac, depart with 4×4 via the old Paris-Dakar race road to Foum Zguid crossing the natural dried salt flats of Iriqui Lake. Then lunch break in the Berber village of Taznakht. We will arrive in Marrakech about evening at 7.00pm.
Depending on your departure flight schedules, transfer to the airport. Farewell from Morocco and we hope to see you again. May you bring home magical memories of Moroccan Desert and a wonderful experience with us at Mrani Travel & Tours.
- Meet and road transfers pick up and drop off from airport to riad / hotel
- Road transfers from and to Marrakech
- All ground transfers (fuel included) in modern and clean air-conditioned vehicle
- 2 nights of accommodation - Night 1: Riad in Zagora. Night 2: Desert camp in Erg Chegaga / Chigaga Dunes
- Half board meals plan inclusive of daily breakfast and dinner
- Trekking led by qualified Moroccan / Berber English speaking guide and drive
- Sand boarding
- Carmel trekking
- Berber music and warm camp fire under the starry sky
- International flight ticket
- Entry visa
- Travel insurance and travel documents
- Personal expenses
- Additional options during tour / miscellaneous expenses
- Meals and accommodation in Marrakech
- Soft / alcoholic drinks / lunch
- Room service
- Peak season / festive period surcharge
- Early check in or late check out chages
- Tips for driver, local guide and porter
Essential Equipment & Clothing:
- Good walking boots, good trainers and socks
- Personal first aid kit, sunscreen, sunglasses,
- Light weight clothes, sweaters
- Backpack, cap, binoculars, camera,
- Sleeping bag (optional)
- Water bottle
- Prices quote are for per person, based on twin sharing (unless otherwise stated). Additional nights in riad/ hotel after tour is charge differently for twin sharing and for single.
- Trekking prices may vary depending of the season.